Tuesday, September 29, 2009

This Granola Bar is Popping!

There are times that I find myself pretty much out of ideas for what to serve my son for his afternoon snack or lunchtime treat. I have to admit, sometimes this makes me feel like a failure at being a mom. When I was younger I assumed I would be queen of the PTA, that I would always have the coolest dinner/dessert/art ideas just come to me out of nowhere, that my son and his friends would think I am cool...While I am a member of the PTA and help whenever I can, I am far from queen (those ladies can be catty...yikes!). I try to always be creative and fun, but sometimes my ideas do not always go according to plan and my OCD/Quest for Perfection does not appreciate that. And for right now, my son thinks I am cool. There are days that nothing goes the way I had envisioned it and there are days like today...today I was the mom I envisioned myself to be and came up with a creative way to incorporate some of my son's favorite snacks into the ultimate snack bar.

I present to you: Peanut Butter Popcorn Granola Bars
Peanut Butter Popcorn Granola Bars
It is not only great for an on-the-go kid, or mother, but unlike some store bought granola bars, you know exactly what you are feeding them.


PEANUT BUTTER POPCORN GRANOLA BARS

(Makes about 9 3-inch bars)
  • 1/2 cup agave nectar (honey can be substituted)
  • 2/3 cup natural peanut butter
  • 1 cup granola
  • 1 cup trail mix
  • 3 cups popped popcorn
  1. Line an 8 or 9-inch square baking pan with foil. Spray foil lightly with cooking spray; set aside.
  2. Heat agave nectar in a large saucepan until boiling. Stir in peanut butter until well blended.
  3. Remove pan from heat and stir in granola, trail mix and popcorn until coated.
  4. Press mixture evenly into prepared pan using either a greased spatula or another piece of greased foil. Refrigerate until cool; cut into bars to serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment