Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Easy Cake Mix Cookies and Ice Cream Sandwiches

The last couple days have been very busy, even more so than the normal rigors of our everyday life. Not too busy that I have not been able to bake or cook a single thing. Yeah right! Would never happen in my house.

No...these past couple days have been filled with the recipe hunt for, and creation, of my first Chinese Sponge Cake, making a surprise Alien birthday cake for my son, Kyle, who turned 8-years-old today, and the creation and execution of a pork chop dish (all of which will be in blogs to come).


However, today's blog will be about something completely different. Actually, it will not even be about something I baked. Today, in honor of my son, Kyle, turning 8-years-old today, he is the star of this blog. He has been watching me chronicle my kitchen adventures and wanted to be a part of it. So yesterday, while we were purchasing some last minute things for his birthday cake, he asked if he could make a treat for his father, and if I would put it in my blog. How could I deny such a fun and innocent request? So without further adieu...here is Kyle's captioned photo blog...

KYLE'S EASY CAKE MIX COOKIES AND ICE CREAM SANDWICHES
The finished ice cream sandwiches

(Makes 22 cake mix cookies and 11 ice cream sandwiches)
  • 1 box of cake mix (we used Pilsbury's Moist Deluxe Chocolate Cake)
  • 1/3 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 pint ice cream, softened
  • sprinkles, chopped nuts, jimmies
Super simple ingredients

First you pour the cake mix into a bowl.
Pour the mix

Then you whack the two eggs into the bowl.
Crack the eggs

Make sure you wash your hands after you touch the eggs or you could get sick.
Washing hands after touching raw eggs

Then put the oil in.
Add the oil

Then you mix it all up and if it gets too hard to stir, give it to mom.
Stir really good

And then show off like you stirred it.
This is the batter

Scoop spoonfuls of batter (about a well-rounded tablespoon) and roll them into balls. This is my favorite part!
Roll the dough

Smash them, not too hard, just kind of flat on a (ungreased) cookie pan (wax paper was put on because I let him use old cookie sheets). And after they're all done, you can lick the spoon. My other favorite part!
Now you can lick the spoon

Put them in the oven and bake them (7-9 minutes, or until puffed and only slightly depressed when lightly touched). You should probably let your mom do this. When they're done, let her take them out. You can swim while they cool down.

NOW THE FUN PART...ICE CREAM SANDWICHES!!!

Take a spoon of kinda melted (softened) ice cream onto one cookie.
Spread on softened ice cream

Put another cookie on top and kind of smash them together. Not too hard or the ice cream comes out!
Lightly squeeze together

Then you roll them in sprinkles. I picked out Turtle Crunch for these.
Roll in topping of your choice

Then...ta-da...it's done!
The finished product

You can stick them in the freezer. Or...eat them right away, like me!
Now you can eat!

You should make some today...my dad loved them!
Dad eating one of his ice cream sandwiches

1 comment: