Monday, September 14, 2009

Marinating Makes the World an Easier Place:Tangy Mustard Pork Chops


So since I had been MIA for slightly over a week, I did not get to post the pork chop recipe I came up with (entirely of my own creation might I add) for dinner last Tuesday.

For us, making time for a family dinner can be difficult during the work week. Our schedules are pretty full: each morning we run before breakfast and then go to the gym in the afternoon. My husband is a computer test engineer at a super computer company and awaiting his delayed entry into the Navy. Our son is now a third grader at a new school where he just joined the running club. And although I am currently a stay-at-home mom; I do take Cardiovascular Technology classes three nights a week (soon to be two nights, thank goodness). We are busy people.

However, I do not skimp on quality in our house because I know that a good meal is integral to a happy, and healthy, family. I can, and often do, spend all day preparing dinner for my family. I usually try to make it something where it can be prepared during the day and thrown into the oven before our gym workouts if I want to enjoy it with them before class. Which is one reason I say that marinating makes the world an easier place.

I love marinades. They often can be created with virtually anything you have in stock, including just plain Italian dressing, though I personally have never taken that route. The best part: they are quick and easy, which we love. They also infuse so much flavor without a lot of work. You just set it and forget it.

There was recently a great deal going on at our local Vons for pork chops, and not just thin little ones. No. These ones were slightly over an inch thick. We bought a package of six and surprisingly, since we are Vons Club members, the total came up to just under $9. Amazing, no? This marinade was thrown together at the beginning of the morning, they marinaded all day, I threw them in the oven before our workout and when we got home I they were done.

TANGY MUSTARD PORK CHOPS

(Serves 6)
  • 3/4 cup soy sauce
  • 1/2 cup cider vinegar
  • 1/2 cup vegetable oil
  • 6 tbsp dijon mustard
  • 5 tbsp honey
  • 1 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
  • 1 tbsp Italian seasoning
  • 1 tsp dried tarragon
  • 5 cloves garlic, minced (I used 1 tbsp + 1tsp of prepared chopped garlic, saves my fingers)
  • 6 pork chops, at least 1-inch thick
1. Mix the first eight ingredients together well.
Ingredients for Tangy Mustard Pork Chop marinade
2. Add the pork chops to the mixture. I like to do this in a tupperware container, as ziplock bags can sometimes have small holes and cause a mess in your fridge.
Pork Chops in Tangy Mustard marinade
3. Marinate the pork chops for at least two(2) hours, or overnight.
4. When you are ready to bake the pork chops, preheat the oven to 350F degrees.
5. Bake for between 45-60 minutes, depending on the thickness of your pork chops.

I served our pork chops with sauteed green beans and buttered curly noodles. This is sure to please your family as well.
Plated Tangy Mustard Pork Chops
Happy Baking!

3 comments:

  1. I totally agree with you that marinating and baking makes the world an easier place. It makes us a happier mom and wife too. This is such a gorgeous dish. Looks easy too. I love simple, easy, quick recipe, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am totally making this dish!!! Thanks! I love when people post the actual receipe with the pictures! Amber

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary - I completely agree...easier for mom, means easier for the family.

    Amber - I am glad this recipe has inspired you to cook it. Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete