Thursday, August 27, 2009

Summer Heat and Creamy Baked Potato Soup

Lately the weather has been extremely hot and humid here in San Diego, even though we live five minutes from the beach, which is thwarting my ventures into marshmallow fondant and making it rather difficult to come up with dinners for my family where I am not slaving in a hot kitchen.

So what did I decide to cook for my boys today?

Creamy Baked Potato Soup.

Yes, you read right. Creamy Baked Potato Soup.

While the weather has been borderline unbearable, there are two things my family and I cannot deny: filling, flavorful soups and potatoes. I also found that, with this soup, I was able to make something we all could enjoy after going to the gym and limit my time in the kitchen.

The first thing you need is baked potatoes.
How to bake potatoes quickly and evenly
In this photo you probably noticed that not only are my potatoes wrapped in foil, but they are also on a metal skewer. It is something I learned from watching Nigella Lawson's Food Network show "Nigella Feasts." She says that it makes the potatoes cook faster and evenly. And you know what? It works.

Then you will need just a couple more things:
Ingredients for Creamy Baked Potato Soup
milk (we like skim milk in our house), chicken broth, bacon (or salt pork, sometimes I use a mix of both), finely diced onion, sour cream, and selection of spices.

Many baked potato soups ask for a lot of butter and flour, but I find that the starches in the potato, along with the addition of chicken broth, makes the soup rich enough. However, depending on how creamy you and your family like it a little slurry goes a long way...

CREAMY BAKED POTATO SOUP

(Serves 6 to 8)
  • 12 slices bacon (or like today: 6 slices of peppered bacon and a 3-in block of salt pork)
  • 4 cups milk
  • 3 cups chicken broth
  • 4 large (8 smallish medium) baked potatoes, peeled and cubed
  • 1/2 small onion, finely diced
  • 1/2 cup sour cream
  • 1 teaspoon salt (omit if using salt pork)
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon rosemary
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Italian seasoning
  • 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded (optional)
  • slurry {2 tablespoons cornstarch mixed with 4 tablespoons water}, (optional)
  1. Place bacon/salt pork in a large, deep skillet. Cook over medium heat until slightly browned and most of the fat has been rendered. Drain, crumble, and set aside.
  2. Drain half of the fat that was rendered, leaving the other half in the pan. Add the finely diced onion and saute until almost translucent. Add back the bacon/salt pork and the seasoning. Cook until the onion is softened and the seasoning has become fragrant.Cooking down the bacon, onions, and seasoning
  3. Gradually stir in milk and chicken broth. Once it starts to simmer, stir in potatoes. Bring to a boil, stirring frequently. At this point, if you would like a thicker soup, add the slurry and stir. Bringing it up to a boil
  4. Reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes. Mix in the cheese, if you are including it, and the sour cream. Continue cooking, stirring frequently, until cheese is melted.
And then...it is done...Creamy Baked Potato Soup for a hot summer night.
Creamy Baked Potato Soup
Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. Haha, I like how one of the tags on this post is 'yummy' :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this soup about a week ago. My husband and I absolutely loved it. I'm once again printing out the recipe and heading to the grocery store. Thanks for posting! :)

    ReplyDelete